Tools of the Trade

Tools of the Trade
Tools of the Trade

Monday, July 10, 2017

30 Minutes for 30 Days: Day 1

Last year, a fencer I know took up this challenge: thirty minutes of sword practice for thirty days. For a half hour, every day, you must have a sword in your hand for your work outs.

I decided to take up this challenge and this was my first day.

My first 10 minutes was foot work. This, by itself, can (and should) be a 30 minute work out but, today it was the first 10.  In this, I broke the motions of advancing and retreating into parts so I could analyze my foot placements and balance.  The last two minutes were spent doing a burst of full speed motion drills.

What I learned, do not drag my feet, take care not to lean.

The second 10 minutes were spent practicing lunges. Again, breaking the motions into parts, working both right and left hands and working both on line and off line.

What I learned, let the rapier lead, keep the motions smooth.

The final 10 was point control. Tracing the edge of a pendulum using only wrist motions to train disengages.

What I learned, my left wrist needs much more work, don't be afraid to work small.

I am excited for the next 29 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment