Tools of the Trade

Tools of the Trade
Tools of the Trade

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Working it Through

Tuesday night saw some good fights.  Last week lessons (See "What Long Quillions You Have!") definitely took root.  While not perfected, blade gaining and re direction was happening a lot more.

Most of my bouts were single rapier.  It's good to keep this form fresh and growing, it's easy to get wrapped up in companion weapons but it can take away from the singles skills.

Footwork felt better measured and attacks more decisive.

For companion weapons, I chose the cloak and buckler for the night.

Cloak is not like anything else, in my opinion.  Mine is full length and made of wool, it has some weight.  Cloak fighting requires a balance of controlling the cloak and working with its movement.  Finding this balance allows the fencer to go from linear to circular movements smoothly, if not, it's easy to have it turned against you.

Buckler is fun. It is a brawling weapon on the surface, but by employing angles for deflection and the edge for misdirection, it is also a complex companion.  Also, it's less wear and tear on the fencer.

In a previous post, I talked about how practice was theraputic; I suppose the universe decided to test me.  My cousin passed away the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend.  

Being a teacher, I can't afford to have anything from my personal life effect how I interact with my students; it isn't their job to look after us, so it all has to be packed away until I get home.

Tuesday did its job.  I had no control over losing my cousin, I have no control over the pain of his wife and children, or anyone else's, but I could exercise control over my action in the List. I could focus and immerse myself in my fights.  Engage my opponient's and hug as friends and compatriots after.  It gave me a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment