Tools of the Trade

Tools of the Trade
Tools of the Trade

Thursday, June 29, 2017

An Off-Handed Buffet

"For the animal's soul is mine..."
Enjoying Disturbed on the way down to the Bhakail practice tonight, feeling pretty good.

I decided to fight all of my weapon forms tonight.

I opened up with single rapier, lots of binds and disengages.  Off hand could have been a bit more active but, overall, things went well.

Second match went rapier and buckler.  I haven't fought this form in about six months or so, but it came back quick.  Our bouts were pretty aggressive and I learned about a few new feints.

Next up was rapier and dagger. My opponent was quite smooth with her techniques and I found myself working a cutting game more than usual.

So far, all of my previous fights were matched bouts, my opponents having the same weapon form as me.

My final fight, I brought out cloak.  My opponent used a cane as his parry weapon.  These passes definitely kept me on my toes! The cane is really effective in trapping and tying things (like a cloak) up. The engagements traded off between patient and fast and furious.

A great way to end the evening.

In between bouts, there was review and discussion on technique and strategies.

I left there sweaty, tired and knowing it was an evening well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment